Seize the Bean - A Light-Hearted Deck Builder about Berlin!

Created by Quality Beast

Thematic deck builder with brutal resource management, card drafting, set collection, engine building, modular setup & wild components!

Latest Updates from Our Project:

Mini-Update for Mid-March
over 1 year ago – Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 02:37:28 AM

Hey everybody, we sincerely hope you are all safe and healthy out there. We know the world is a bit of a wild place right now and we’d like to extend our positive thoughts and wishes to everyone.

First, we must apologize for being 1 week late on our new update schedule. The last week had us scrambling a bit to restructure ourselves as the effects of COVID-19 hit both the Netherlands and Germany harder, where most of our employees are based. We know everyone is talking about this right now and many of you may want to avoid further noise regarding the crisis as it can be stressful to repeatedly hear, but it’s important for us to transparently share how this has affected our team so far.

Right now the following changes have occurred in our team, due to the virus:

  •  All employees are working remotely, from home.
    • In addition, we are actively making sure employees are not feeling pressured into being productive or meeting deadlines: this can add unnecessary stress to an already stressful situation and we are taking a human-first approach to our team expectations.
    • This may not be what you want to hear for Seize the Bean’s progress, but rest assured we are driving a balance whilst putting people’s health first.
    • Luckily, some of our team was already working remotely and thus the transition hasn’t been too hard on us.
  •  One of the key members of our production team has gotten stuck in Australia and may not be able to safely return anytime soon.
    • This has cut our workforce on print files down by approximately ⅓.
    • Our solution to the issue is to finance and setup a production computer in Australia. We are currently discussing the details with the employee there.
    • This may not be solved for a few weeks, given the time it takes to spec out, order, build, and then setup a new machine.
  •  We have multiple employees who came in contact with the virus, either confirmed or suspected.
    • At least 2 members have gone through testing. Luckily no one tested positive.
    • Most who were in contact have passed the majority of the quarantine time and thus we believe are safe and sound.
    • One employee got semi-seriously ill but we later discovered it was not related to the virus and they are safe and in recovery.
  •  Both our manufacturer’s factories and our fulfillment warehouses are still up and running but they could shut down partially or completely anytime.
    • We have no indication of this from them, so we don’t want to worry anyone, but it’s important to set the proper expectations, especially if there are secondary waves of infection that spread through China where our manufacturer’s factories are.
    • As our fulfillment warehouses are all over the world, it’s not easy to predict what will happen, but we are keeping close to current events so we can inform all of you if we foresee any shipping issues.
    • We are also not aware yet of effects on freight shipping and will be in touch with our freight partners soon.
  •  Overall, we are all safe, healthy, and even somewhat happy, but to say we have not suffered minor delays due to the situation would be dishonest.
    • At most, it looks like our work was slowed by about 1-2 weeks.
    • If we experience any further delays due to the world situation or even foresee any we will inform all of you promptly.

    We’re going to leave it at that for this mini-update. We are definitely still making progress despite everything, but more on that in the next update. We’ll see you again in 2 weeks, and until then, be safe, stay healthy, and try to enjoy some board games with loved ones to pass the time.

Mini-Update for Early March
over 1 year ago – Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 02:09:57 AM

Happy March everyone! At last, we are nearing the foreseeable end of this project. Let’s dive into the good news we have in this update...

We are finishing the Variant Rulebook this week! Wow, it has been a lot of work and we are very excited to post it once done. For those interested in details, our production team has finished providing all of the layout feedback to our graphic designer. This was particularly tricky for the Solo Mode section since it stretches over a few of its own spreads. The last work for our production team is to finalize the feedback on the Solo Mode examples. It’s nothing to scoff at, but we believe we can accomplish it before the week is done.

File submission process: Once this final English file is done we can submit all English files next week to our manufacturer. While that is happening and we wait for their approval or feedback, we will deliver the final text updates to the translation teams to have them on the final steps of their work. When our manufacturer has 100% approved all files we can copy these files and put in translated text. Note that some of that has already been done, which we’ll talk about below.

Printing process: Some of you have asked if we can start manufacturing with just the English or do we have to wait for all languages. Unfortunately we do have to print altogether, we cannot start English by itself. However, we strongly believe that the final translation work, the text input into the files, and the submission process will not drag out as a lot of the other tasks have. We believe these parts are easier for us to estimate than the game development or the rulebook finalization has been.

What is the current status of translation? This is the big question now, since we believe we are clear to begin submitting English files next week we need to know when the translators estimate they will be done. With this information, and new estimates from our manufacturer and freight shipper, we should be able to finally predict a reasonable and stable delivery date! To begin answering that let’s look at the translation files...

(Note: all items listed below refer to the text files, not the print files yet…)

Completely Done Files:

  • Base Game Box English = 100% Done
  • Base Game Box Chinese = 100% Done
  • Rulebook English = 100% Done
  • Variant Rulebook English = 100% Done
  • Tokens / Punchboards English = 100% Done
  • Tokens / Punchboards Chinese = 100% Done
  • Player Boards English = 100% Done
  • Player Boards Chinese = 100% Done
  • Player Boards German = 100% Done
  • Player Boards Spanish = 100% Done
  • All Cards English = 100% Done
  • Sticker Sheet English = 100% Done
  • Sticker Sheet Chinese = 100% Done
  • Sticker Sheet French = 100% Done
  • Sticker Sheet German = 100% Done
  • Sticker Sheet Spanish = 100% Done
  • Expansion Box English = 100% Done
  • Expansion Player Boards English = 100% Done
  • Expansion Cards English = 100% Done
  • Add-On Cards English = 100% Done

(Note: the Tokens / Punchboards are language independent except the Backer-written Good and Bad Reviews. We decided not to translate these, but because the Chinese version ran its own crowdfunding campaign, it has its own Backer-written Reviews, and thus has its own language version.)

Fully Translated But Requires Final Updates / Edits:

  • Base Game Box French = Done & Being Edited
  • Base Game Box German = Done & Being Edited
  • Base Game Box Spanish = Done & Being Edited
  • Rulebook in All Non-English Languages = Requires Updates from Final English
  • Variant Rulebook in All Non-English Languages = Requires Updates
  • Player Boards French = Requires Minor Updates
  • All Cards Chinese = Requires Minor Updates
  • All Cards French = Requires Minor Updates
  • All Cards German = Requires Minor Updates
  • All Cards Spanish = Requires Minor Updates

(Additional Note: the 5-6 Player Expansion and add-on components are only in English, but they are also language independent so do not be alarmed if you ordered them together with a non-English base game!)

As you may notice from the above lists, we only have a handful of files left and the majority of them only require minor updates or edits. Both Rulebooks require a careful check that the latest translations match the latest English as some changes have taken place, but we are confident with our proofing process there. Our plan is to focus 100% of our efforts managing these topics next week so we can report back with a final estimate.

Manufacturing in general is back in operation though. Factories are running and we should not face any delays on that side. We have not gotten a full update from our freight shipper yet nor any of our fulfillment partners, but we’ll be exploring that and reporting back in future updates.

Thank you all for enduring another quite long mini-update. We really hope you can clearly see and hear the progress we are sharing, this is a big deal to have made it to this point. With luck, we’ll be calling Seize the Bean a done project that is ready to completely go to print by the time we write you next! Cross your fingers, press your thumbs, and keep up with the positive comments and support. We’ll see you all in 2 weeks! :) 

Mini-Update for Mid-February
over 1 year ago – Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 08:50:23 PM

Hello backers! We are still in February, and while the effects of Chinese New Year have worn off there are still some important topics to share regarding timeline. 

Delivery date. We continue to get questions around this topic and we completely understand. To reiterate for anyone who is not reading the updates: we will share a new delivery date as soon as we go into print. We realize how frustrating the “it’s done when it’s done” message can be for some people. The only reason we are not announcing a new estimate now is because we have learned that we are not properly equipped to guess the full work time required to finish things we have never done before (such as the completion of the final print files). By arbitrarily stating a new date and then being wrong, we only set you all up for disappointment.

Production estimates and possible delivery date. What we can say is that due to the coronavirus, our manufacturer has warned it may be at least 3 weeks until they are 100% up and running. Let’s call it 1 month to be safe. If we were to begin printing at that time we wouldn’t finish printing until some time in April at the earliest. Delivery can take 2 months at minimum, with freight shipping and customs, and then delivery from warehouse to you. Therefore, it’s safe to say you should not expect the game before this summer. We hope this information is helpful, even if it isn’t the precise delivery date you are all patiently waiting for.

Berlin Brettspiel Con. We cannot promise anything, but it would be a fantastic goal to be able to release the game to backers at the Berlin Brettspiel Con in mid-July this year. Do not worry: we won’t sell to the public and especially not to any retail stores until we are sure backers already have their copies. But we wanted to share this potential goal with you all, so you know what we are aiming for.

Final files. We’re now about 60% of the way through our final polishing of the Variant Rulebook. There was some surprising responses to the last update where we mentioned the page count and we’d like to address that. First, we have actually removed 2 spreads and thus cut the Variant Rulebook down to 56 pages. Second, it’s extremely important to note that the contents of the Variant Rulebook are rules on the following:

  • Additional Components (not base game components which appear in the Main Rulebook)
  • Difficulty Modes
  • 5-6 Player Mode (this was backer requested)
  • 5 Main Districts (ie. the game setups, basically the expansions)
  • 5 Additional Districts (it helps having more because not all of them are 5-6 player or Solo Mode compatible)
  • Additional Customer Groups (abilities + examples, basically more expansion content)
  • Additional Friends & Family (this is the first actual "variant" now)
  • Add-On Customer Packs (these were the 3, promotional bonus packs)
  • Founders (again, this is an actual "variant" too)
  • Variety of other Mini-Variants (we won’t list these all now, you’ll see them when the file is done!)
  • Diverse City (yes, another variant)
  • Uses for the Resin Snack Pack Add-On (backer requested, both to be made, and to be gameplay usable)
  • Solo Mode Rules (another backer requested mode)
  • Solo Mode Scenarios (not necessarily backer requested, but certainly promised to backers)
  • Quick Icon Reference (same as last pages of the Main Rulebook)

This should help you all understand what is in this book, and why it’s included. If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the comments!

Translations. We’re just this week getting new reports from all the different translators what their status is. We didn’t want to delay this update waiting for everyone but you can expect in the next update to have clear lists of what is completely done and what isn’t in regards to each language. This will include the text itself, editing / proofing of the text, as well as adding the text to actual print files. And yes, we are still aiming to hopefully share some (if not all) of the files so that native speakers can give their input, just as we did with the recent English rulebook release. We will do so as long as we can handle the feedback in parallel with other tasks so that it does not delay us any further!

That was a very long mini-update so we’ll end here. We’ll see you all in 2 weeks, and meanwhile please keep the comments, questions and positive energy incoming! 

Mini-Update for Early February
over 1 year ago – Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 12:39:32 AM

Happy Monday everyone! Welcome to February, the month of Chinese New Year holidays and factories that sleep and party. :) 

As promised, our production team has been busy at work on the Variant Rulebook and are about ⅓ of the way done. We’ve had some feedback about providing ambiguous numbers in the past, so to clarify, that means we are about 20 pages into the 60 page Variant Rulebook. We believe the Solo Mode section in the middle is going to be quite chunky and give us the hardest time, but the end should be quite fast because the last few spreads are actually copied content from the Main Rulebook (a large list of quick icon references).

On related good news, Janna, our graphic designer, is back from holiday and working alongside our production team! Dylan and Eva were able to tackle some layouts and InDesign stuff themselves even while Janna was gone, but it’s great to have more people working to finish up this final file.

We’d like to reiterate that to everyone: we are on the final English file of the game! Hooray! When this is done we can submit the print files to our manufacturer for proofing, and then focus our energy on finalizing the translation for the other languages.

Regarding Chinese New Year, our factory should be back in business shortly. We’ll give more details on this in the next update, but we can confirm that by the time we are ready with files, the factory will be ready to start producing.

The number 1 question everyone asks is: when is the game going to be delivered? We really feel terrible not even giving an estimate here, but we truly believe that it’s best to be honest and stick to the plan of sharing an estimate once the game is in print. That way, we won’t misjudge any of the steps and leave all of you backers further disappointed. Please remember, it’s our first time doing a rulebook of this type and size, so it’s incredibly hard for us to be super accurate in our estimate. We’re learning and we greatly appreciate you being a part of this journey with us!

There have been a lot of questions about company resources in the comments and we’d love to address this topic. While we won’t go into deep detail now, we’d like to remind people that we are a small team even though our event presence can be quite large. Most of the team at Quality Beast are not full-time and almost all of us are still currently being trained in our roles. Despite this, we are all incredibly passionate about making games and everyone is focused and dedicated to finishing Seize the Bean. Even with the delays we are very proud of this product and so happy to have all the backer input that made it what it’ll be once done.

Whew! That was almost not a mini-update, but it was, because the title says so. ;) We’ll see you all in 2 weeks, and meanwhile please keep the comments, questions and positive energy incoming!    

Mini-Update for Mid-January
over 1 year ago – Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:15:09 AM

Hello backers! We hope your January has been going well so far. Ours has been very productive!

As you know the rulebook is done and we are receiving bits and pieces of your feedback. We really appreciate all the input we are getting and for those that wrote us in the comments and via email, please don’t worry if you haven’t gotten a reply yet. All of your input has been forwarded to our production team and it’s mostly all being applied.

For those that did not submit feedback, or didn’t read the rulebook yet, we have a great news for you: the response has been very positive! We were so pleased to see only a few typos and grammatical changes (and often the same ones) being cited by some of the more active backers during their proofreading. In general, the response we are getting is that the rulebook is thorough, clear, well-written and heavily illustrated (in a good way). We sincerely hope that the bulk of you agree once you get a chance to look! In case you didn’t it’s at

Unfortunately, searching the rulebook text is currently not possible. This is because of the way we exported it. We were aware of this issue at the time, but we did not want to delay sharing the rulebook as we tweaked with export settings. In short, you will see a text-searchable rulebook in the future. Stay tuned!

The variant rulebook moves steadily forward! Even with our graphic designer on a short hiatus, we are progressing strongly with just the remaining 2 members of the production team. As soon as we have a finished document to share we’ll provide a link as we did with the main rulebook.

Chinese New Year is already nearly upon us and notifications are coming in from our manufacturer. This is fine, though, as we already disclosed in a previous update, we are well aware we would not get production done before Chinese New Year. How this effects the final delivery date we’ll need to share in a future update.

Those are the main topics for this mini-update, so for now we’ll say farewell but please keep the comments, questions and positive energy incoming! We look forward to seeing you in the next update in 2 weeks (or sooner, if we have a larger update meanwhile)!